Remember when you mom tried to force feed you Broccoli because she said it was good for you?
We disliked broccoli when we were younger, but we have learned to eat it because we know how healthy it is. Luckily we stumbled upon on this broccoli soup by healthy foodblogger Sarah: Mynewroots.org Broccoli Soup
We made our version of her marvelous soup. This is a soup that finally makes it easy to eat broccoli! It contains no creme or cheese. Make sure that you are using fresh and not frozen broccoli because the soup will not be the same without the freshness from a broccoli in season. We think that this recipe will also work good with cauliflower, spinach and green kale.
We love Sweet potatoes see our other Sweet Potato recipes here.
Broccoli soup with Cashew cream & Sweet potato chips
Yield 2 servings
- Broccoli soup:
- 100g onions, chopped
- A little vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 250 g broccoli, chopped into pieces
- 1/4 green chili finely chopped
- 1 square of organic vegetable broth or the equivalent
- 3 cups of water
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Cayenne pepper
- Sea salt to taste
- Cashew Cream:
- 1/2 cup / 75 g raw cashews
- 1/2 cup / 150 ml water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- Sweet Potato Chips:
- 1/2 Sweet Potato
- 1 tbls vegetable oil
- Sea salt
- Soak the cashew nuts for a least 4 hours (preferably overnight).
- Mix the cashew's in a blender with the rest of the ingredients until you have a creamy texture.
- Put the oven on 175°C/350 F, chop the sweet potato into fine slices. Add them to a oven safe tray, mix them in the vegetable oil. Bake for 1 hour.
- Chop and mince the onion, chili and the garlic. Cut the broccoli into similar pieces.
- Fry the onions for a few minutes in a casserole and add the garlic and chili to let i go for a few more minutes.
- Add the water and the vegetable broth, bring to a boil.
- Add the broccoli let it boil for approximately 5 min until it is al dente.
- Mix it with a hand blender or in a ordinary blender until you have a nice green smooth soup.
- Taste the soup and add some lemon juice, salt and cayenne pepper until it's delicious.
- Serve with the cashew cream.