There are many ways to make a vegan lasagna. Many want it as similar to a regular lasagna as possible while others want to make it with more vegetables or gluten-free. Here we have made a recipe for a really delicious lasagna with a lot of tomato sauce, mushrooms and a delicious home-made vegan mozzarella.
Vegan cheese for the vegan lasagna
A frequently asked question is, how can I get that cheesy sought of texture and flavour?
It’s a bit tricky to get something to taste exactly like the original. But it’s almost possible!
A lasagna can be really tasty even without the cheese, served with plenty of tomato sauce and herbs. But you’ll still want that little extra when you spend all that time and devote your love into this pasta dish.
Our tip is to buy a ready-made vegan cheese available in well-stocked food store. But you can also make your own. It’s not that easy but not very difficult either. See how you do it in the recipe below
Vegan Lasagna with home made vegan mozarella, tomato sauce, mushrooms and eggplant
- Vegan cheese
- 1 cup of cashew nuts soaked overnight
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour creates consistency
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast berried, creates flavor
- 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 finely chopped red chili
- 5 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of thyme or 1/2 tablespoon dried
- 1 sprig of oregano or 1/2 tablespoon dried
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cans of crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- S & P
- 15 lasagna plates make sure they are vegan
- 1 eggplant 250 grams of mushrooms
- 50 grams of cherry tomatoes
- Some fresh basil
- Lasagna may not be the dinner you swing together at a moments notice. But when it's finished it's well worth the wait. Sit back around the dinner table and enjoy!
- If you forget to soak the cashew nuts overnight, you can also cook them in water for about 5 minutes. Then they also soften.
- Pour cashew nuts and other ingredients for the vegan cheese in a mixer or in a bowl if your using a hand blender. Mix until the cashew nuts begin to mix with the water and the other ingredients. Pour into a saucepan and heat to medium temperature. When it begins to get firm, you stir around at the bottom of the saucepan with wooden spoon. After a few minutes you get t a delicious sticky and cheesy texture. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Finely chop the chili and the garlic cloves. Fry in a medium-sized saucepan with some cooking oil.Add tomato puree, bay leaves, thyme and oregano. Fry for a few seconds. Then add the apple cider vinegar and allow to boil into the mixture. Then add the crushed tomatoes, sugar and let it simmer.
- Boil the lasagna plates.
- Chop the mushrooms and eggplant and fry until they get a nice golden color.
- Set the oven to 225 degrees celsius/440 Farenheit. Assemble the lasagna in an oven-proof form. Start with the tomato sauce. Then the lasagne plates, tomato sauce, the vegan mozarella, eggplant and mushrooms. Finish with a layer of lasagne plates, tomato sauce, vegan cheese and top it of with cherry tomatoes. Bake in the oven for about 25-35 minutes. Watch it so that it does not burn.
Check out the video where we show you how we make our vegan lasagna:
Here you will find another of our lasagna recipes. However it’s made with regular cheese, it is possible to exchange it with our home made vegan mozzarella: